Sunday, March 9, 2008

Color photography

I have been listening to the lenswork podcast lately, and I have to highly recommend it to anyone out there interested in photography or art generally. Some very insightful podcasts made me try some new stuff, and it worked out well. I went out light, brought only a tripod and reflector with a couple of prime lenses (50mm 1.4 and 100mm 2.8) and my 24-105L on my 5D.

I don't usually shoot photos with strong color elements, and I really dislike ubersaturation, but this one worked for me. It was really cold, so Mary and I had coffee afterward. I took the opportunity to shoot some off the cuff lifestyle-ish stuff.

Man, Mary commands attention. Men and women stop (or honk, screech or rev) in their tracks when she is dressed up and we go somewhere. Some woman almost got rear ended while we walked down the street with Mary in a nice (but not that revealing) black dress. It was funny at first, but it would get old after a while. That said, there are worse problems than being six foot, blond and slender (and I would add for Mary's sake - smart and really nice to boot). It was just odd to me, being a middle of the road looks kind of person, to see people act like such dufuses (dufii maybe?) when a pretty woman is around.

Here are a couple of photos from today's shoot:

Mary

_MG_5017-218-Edit

No comments: