Saturday, May 17, 2008

Photo editing

I insist on editing photos before they go out the door. Some knucklehead decided that means somehow I am a lesser photographer and decided to share that with a model I shot. She cancelled her appointment with him (thank you!), but I thought it strange that someone would think they would get in a model's good graces by denigrating another (clearly superior-really) photographer. Ironically, this joker's photos look like they were over-photoshopped by a half blind kindergartener. Wierd.

Anyway, in case someone wonders about my policy, it is based on the fact that I want my customers to get the best possible photo. To me, it would be irresponsible not to edit the image as it represents me and my work. That's one reason why I don't give unedited photos - even if someone buys a CD of the images (something I try to convince them not to so that they actually print and show the photos), I provide the edited work only. How many photos of the same shoot does someone need anyway? I know I never send someone 40 pictures from the same set (unless it is a wedding). I send my favorite few, and those are the photos that I might print. I also print for relatively cheaply because I want people to have the photos where they will enjoy them.

I figure there are enough craigslist photographers out there who will take snapshots and provide them on CD. My business is different, much more customized to each client.

Just thought I would throw out the explanation so I can point back here if it comes up in the future.

No comments: